
I was walking past the TV series section at Best Buy one day and found a copy of the British series "Being Human". There was something about it that caught my attention. I thought for a second: "Oh great another Twilight copycat." But I am happy to announce that it is not (AMEN). The story is about a Vampire, a Werewolf, and a Ghost living together as roommates. I thought, WoW. A Vampire, a Werewolf, and a Ghost living together. How orignal is that? Ever since Twilight came out, there has been nothing but corny vampire movies and TV series, such as True Blood and The Vampire Diaries. I followed my instincts and puchased it. FYI it was actually the last copy they had and looking back, I was glad I bought it.
So I watched the first episode and it was not bad. There was just a quick introduction of the characters and the story is already rolling. George the Werewolf, Mitchell the Vampire, and Annie the Ghost. George and Mitchell both work in a hospital in the town of Bristol. They move into a little apartment, which just so happens to be haunted by a tea loving ghost named Annie, whom they can only see. They all become good friends and try to be like everyone else, hence the title "Being Human".
As the story progresses, more is reveal about the characters and how they became who they are. It gets pretty emotional, but it is something that we can all relate to. They all had plans for their future until their lives got turned upside down by their curses as a Werewolf, a Vampire, and a Ghost. When you think about it, you find that we humans can have the rage of a wolf when we get angry, addictions to things we try to quit from (Mine is Soda), and sometimes not being seen by everyone like ghosts. As a story writer I see that as something very important in story telling. It is all about the connection with the audiences and the characters and Being Human does that. Cudos to the creator Toby Whitehouse everyone.
The thing that also makes the show so great are the characters. George (Russell Tovey) is an interesting character with the Werewolf curse. He is such a clumsey yet innocent guy, but when the full moon is out he becomes something not so innocent. He is looked at as the kid of the trios. There is a lot of things he has yet to discover about himself and the world. In each episodes he is growing up and maturing. He reminds me of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He is good on the outside, but deep down somewhere inside of him is something dark and angry that is waiting to be unleashed. Beyond that, if you ask me, George is the heart of the group.
Mitchell (Aidan Turner) is the oldest of the three and literally I mean "old". He's been living for around a hundred years now. He is somewhat like the leader of the trio, which makes sense since he is the "oldest". He is somewhat of a drug attic because of his hunger for blood. Ok blood is pretty much what Vampires need to survive, but for Mitchell it is like a drug in which he is trying to quit. The way his cravings is displayed at the sight of blood is just like the same as a drug attic, which makes his character so realistic because there are a lot of people with that kind of problem (Minus the craving for blood). I like that idea that it can be possible for a vampire to live without blood. It shows that even though he is dead the human side still lives on and is fighting to return.
Annie (Lenora Crichlow) has been haunting the apartment that she and her fiance were living in before George and Mitchell moved in. All that is explained about her is that she fell down the stairs and cracked her skull. Ever since her death she has been cooped up in the house and afraid of going outside. Her main goal is to discover what happened to her and why she her spirit is still roaming the world. Apparently she does not remember how she died, but I can assure you all that you will be shocked when you find out how she really died.
So should you watch Being Human or should you not? YES!!! The characters are so awsome and the story will have you off the edge of your seats and begging for more. The only thing that I did not like about it was that there were only six episodes in the first series. For something so popular and so good I cannot believe there are only six episode in the season. Don't let that discourage you though. I enjoyed the orignallity that the show has provided and I wish that there will be a movie based on the show because it really deserves it and possibly some action figures. The actors playing the dynamic trios are amazing. I fell in love with Russell Tovey as George. He really knows how to put a smile on my face and I am sure he will do the same with you. Same goes for Lenora and Aiden who are very fun as well. So if you haven't seen Being Human, then you are missing out. You know how good this show is? It is so good that America is making its own version. Yep that's right, but I prefer the British version where it all started. All I can say is that no Russell Tovey means no thankyou America. Catch Being Human on BBC America or on DVD. And of course don't miss series Two coming soon DVD. This time there are eight episodes.
If you like this review, besure to check out my other Blog THE POST where I do a analysis on the poster of Being Human.
No comments:
Post a Comment